Another of the favoured slow-cooker recipes is the infamous sausage and bean casserole (similar to a Cassoulet, only breezier). It’s ace, easy, but Oh My God, it does lead one to deflate quite spectacularly.
So, the ingredients. (And yes, on this one I’m spectacularly lazy, I know, I know)
- Six or Twelve decent quality sausages. (I’m a fan of Pork & Caramelised Onion, or Pork and Apple, but any will do)
- 2 chopped onions
- 2 chopped peppers
- Spices, herbs and garlic to taste/preference
- A sachet of Schwartz Sausage/Bean Casserole mix (told you I was lazy) in about 100-150ml water
- 2 tins butter beans
- 2 tins haricot beans or cannelini beans
- 1 tin kidney beans (if you like them)
- 2 tins chopped tomatoes
- good squodge of tomato puree
- Fry the sausages so they’re properly browned etc.
- Chop into decent chunks (or leave ’em whole. no-one cares)
- Bung into slow cooker, along with everything else.
- Cook for seven or eight hours.
- Wait two hours or so
- Fart. Lots
And that’s it. The ozone layer won’t thank you – and sometimes nor will neighbours, partners, or pets – but your stomach will.